Skip to main content

The Trials of Persephone

You know my fish, Persephone? Whom I love dearly? Who is my favorite fish that I've ever had, which is good because she's by far had the coolest name? Yeah, it's been a rough few weeks with her.
It all started one lovely Sunday where I was already beyond stressed. Sammy had had a cold for a week, and it showed no signs of getting better. Here's the thing about when Sammy has a cold- instead of being a nice loving caring person, I get inexplicably annoyed. I think part of it is that it's a reminder that he's mortal and so I start panicking that he's going to cough so hard he'll never catch his breath and die, and the other part is that it gets annoying to not be able to have a conversation because he can't stop coughing after every word. Anyways, he pointed out to me that Persephone was acting weird. I watched her, and she was doing what all my other fish have done right before they died. So I put on my pants and told Sammy we were breaking the sabbath to save our fish. 

We drove to two different pet stores to try and find medicine for her, and I cried the whole way there. The medicine they gave us they weren't very hopeful it would do anything, and it could kill her. So yay. I gave her a few drops, and hoped that wasn't too much. Sammy did some research, and Persephone was matching all the symptoms of a constipated fish, which can be deadly. So we decided to take the steps for a constipated fish. I spent an hour with her trying to get her to poop, then went to bed hoping for the best. 

In the morning she was acting fine and I was so grateful. But at night, she was acting weird again. We fasted her for three days, and gave her one bite of food. She immediately blew up again at that, even worse than the first time. She was so bloated she couldn't even swim properly, it was so sad to see. I did more research and decided I was going to give her an epsom salt bath which can help, but the salt we had was flavored and the stores were closed. By the time I got off work the next day, Persephone had gone down in her swelling, so we decided to feed her a pea which is a laxative. Even though we cut it the tiniest we could, it was way too big for Persephone and she swam around for a good twenty minutes just holding it in her mouth. She ended up eating it someone, and she swelled up again. However, she was back to normal the next morning. 

It's been a weird two weeks with Persephone, and I honestly have no idea what's going to happen to her next. At this moment, she's doing alright, but who even knows. I'm just so grateful that she made it past those first two scary nights. We really love her, no matter how small she is. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Getting lost makes me feel ashfishsihfasjshd ngklea sometimes.

Yesterday was my first shift at my new job at the college bookstore. It went pretty great! I like being a cashier a whole lot more than organizing the same bin of bras the fifth time that hour. Ringing up customers text books made me excited to go get mine and start the learning. I probably won't be feeling that way in a few weeks though haha. I'm nowhere close to getting the hang of the cash register yet, but I know how to answer most questions. (You usually just send them to the book section and make the people over there deal with it.) The only time I was completely confused was when a guy came in and asked me for directions to another city. I didn't know being a gps was expected. Over all a great day. Then today happened. Today I wasn't even officially working, I had a mandatory sexual harassment and work place violence meeting. Woo! Sounds fun huh? I showed up ten minutes early, clocked in, then was told to head to the North Classrooms. I looked around and there ...