Skip to main content

We're Having a Baby!

2018 is going to be a whole lot more exciting that I ever could have hoped. 


Baby G is arriving this October (approximately.)  Sammy and I couldn't be more thrilled. 

Okay now story time. If you don't like personal details, you should stop reading now. 

Sammy and I are both fall babies, and I always wanted a fall baby because, well, it's the best time of the year. Plus, you get to be older than all the other kids and do everything first which is fun ;) So I always wanted at least one fall baby. 
Earlier last year when we were trying to decide what to do with our family, Sammy always said he wanted to have a baby next year. I always replied that it takes almost a year to grow them, so we might as well get started earlier. We knew that Sammy would be graduating in December and hopefully starting a new job. I thought it would be smarter to try for a baby during his last few months of school so that if I was feeling super sick during the first trimester, he could just miss class or hang out with me between them, instead of being stressed learning his new job. The months went by though and no baby. Every month I analyzed each little sensation in my body, wondering if that was a sign I was pregnant. Instead I got to experience my old extremely painful periods because I'd stopped taking my birth control which was just so much fun. 

On January 21st, I wanted to try brussell sprouts, something I'd never had before. So I whipped some up, then decided that they would taste much better drenched in vinegar. I did that and they were pretty good.  On the 24th when my period should have arrived, I started feeling cramping along with some back pain. I figured Aunt Flow would be arriving any minute and just shrugged it off. My period didn't arrive though, but the cramps and back pain continued. My body had been doing lots of fun new things since getting off the pill and my cycles were very irregular, so I figured my awful periods would now start hurting even earlier and now my back would too, even though it's never really hurt on my period before. 

That day at work I couldn't stop thinking about food. Luckily, I work with a lot of foodies so we were discussing food all day and I decided that I just HAD to have a gyro, even though I had never had one before. It sounded like the most delicious thing ever, so I convinced Sammy we should go there for dinner that night. It was delicious, until I remembered it was lamb mid bite.
#firstgyro
 The next day, I was still obsessed with food and couldn't stop talking about it with my coworkers, so I made Sammy take me to a burger bar, somewhere he'd been wanting to go but I'd been hesitant about. I really don't like going out to eat too often, but that week all I wanted was to try all these new places.
The night after, Sammy made waffles for dinner and I ate that, then had my hamburger leftovers as well, and didn't feel sick. I thought it was a miracle, and started to wonder about those very light cramps I'd been feeling for the past few days. My period was four days late, but besides those cramps and wanting to try all these new foods, I felt pretty normal. I kept getting annoyed with Sammy, but I figured that was normal PMSing. That night Sammy told me he'd borrowed my soap and I got so upset that I started crying. He was super sweet about it, and I went to sleep.

On the 27th in the morning, I started googling if you could be pregnant without having tender breasts. Each of my friends who have had kids told me they instantly knew they were pregnant because of how intense that symptom came on, but I didn't have it. I was trying to keep my hopes down because I didn't want to get disappointed again. While I was googling Sammy asked me a question and I ignored him, so then he tried to see what I was looking at. Bad mistake. He got super interested and wouldn't leave it alone. I finally distracted him though, then went into the bathroom to take a dollar store test.

The test came back with the faintest pink line, barely visible. I went to grab my phone and google what that meant, and Sammy really wanted to know what was up with me since I was acting so weird. I showed him the test and asked if he could see the second line. He said no. I had one expensive test under the sink and decided to try that, but I didn't have to pee. So we went to the gym together and I tried my best to keep my hopes low. We saw a Panda on the tv eating cake and I felt so much love for that little panda I almost started crying.

We got home from the gym and Sammy hopped in the shower. While he had the water running, I took the second test. I covered it up so I couldn't see it while I waited and brushed my teeth for the full five minutes. When the time was up, I uncovered it and there was a second line, bright and clear. 

I went into the hallway and took a picture with it (needing a filter of course since I'd just got back from the gym.) I'd always thought about this moment and how I would tell Sammy, but all of the cute ideas I'd had over the months flew out of my head. I stood up on the toilet, looked down at him still in the shower, and said, "What's up Daddio?" holding up the test. He was so shocked, it was priceless.

We went to Target afterwards to get more tests, and a lot of snacks for when I started feeling morning sickness. It was one of the funnest trips through Target because we were both just so shocked so Sammy didn't mind when I looked at everything. Then we headed over to Barnes and Noble and bought each of ourselves a book. I went home and took another test, and it lit up just as quickly. 
It was real, we were having a baby! 

I took a few more tests after that on different days and they were all positive as well.

That day was fun because we had plans to see Sammy's parents, then go to see the Greatest Showman with our best friends.  The whole time we were with Sammy's parents, we kept giggling to ourselves because we had a secret. At one point Sammy felt faint and dizzy because it hit him for real that he was going to be a dad. I just felt extremely hungry. 

The timing couldn't have been more perfect. Our lease is up for our apartment this May and we were trying to decide whether to get a one bedroom or a two bedroom apartment. I was feeling lost and like I had no idea what to do with my life too, and once I found out the news, everything is starting to fall into place. We're so excited and feel so blessed and can't wait to meet our little baby in October! 


Comments

  1. Congrats!!!! I just love hearing how couples found out they were expecting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Christmas Lights

It’s funny having a baby and then trying to do things. I’ve noticed over the last year that I’ve gotten an I Can’t do that sort of attitude. We can’t do that because Aaron will cry and we’ll get cranky and so on. I’m really trying to work on that.  My anxiety out in public is much worse too. Now I have two people to protect not just myself. The library definitely changed how I look at places and I wish it hadn’t.  Sammy really wanted to go to a Christmas village downtown but I was too overwhelmed by all the logistics. So we compromised and went to one near us. It was so much fun! It was cold out but not too too bad. Aaron loves looking at the Christmas lights at our apartments, and he really loved these ones. It was so much more fun trying to look at these things through his eyes.  He was also fascinated by the mini Santa and Mrs. Clause at grandma’s house.  I’m so glad we went and can’t wait to go next year when he’s walking:)