Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me.
I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by the fact that the musical wouldn't be here for awhile. Maybe all the hype would die down. Yet here it is.
What really gets me though, is if this musical was about some other religious group, like, say Hindu for example, the response would probably be different. That wouldn't be 'ok.' Yet here's the BOM musical, and it's 'hilarious.' I've heard it all. "Well, it's brilliant in the musical theatre genre, so, it's really ok, blah blah." That's fine. You can have your opinion. But don't judge me for being upset with this musical and not wanting to hear about it.
I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by the fact that the musical wouldn't be here for awhile. Maybe all the hype would die down. Yet here it is.
What really gets me though, is if this musical was about some other religious group, like, say Hindu for example, the response would probably be different. That wouldn't be 'ok.' Yet here's the BOM musical, and it's 'hilarious.' I've heard it all. "Well, it's brilliant in the musical theatre genre, so, it's really ok, blah blah." That's fine. You can have your opinion. But don't judge me for being upset with this musical and not wanting to hear about it.
Ugh. I just looked up the plot synopsis on wikipedia. I definitely shouldn't have, because now I'm upset about it.
ReplyDeleteI know right? What really bothers me is one of the songs, what they're actually saying. I hear people singing that song all the time and it makes me upset.
DeleteWith on this one 100% Kylee!
ReplyDeleteI agree. It bothers me so much!
ReplyDeletenvlbsjm.blogspot.com
Hi, there! Just wanted to say that I saw this musical on Broadway and, while its comedy was definitely outrageous (as is everything Trey Parker & Matt Stone do), I came away from it with a really positive feeling - about the Mormon faith and human beings in general. The message is actually one of tolerance and respect for all faiths - they use LDS Church, but it could be about any and all religions - and while it pokes fun in an often jaw-dropping way, it's somehow never mean-spirited.
ReplyDeleteThe missionary character who "makes up things on the spot" is not meant to be a typical representative of the LDS Church, either, but a misfit who doesn't know anything about his own religion (didn't pay attention in church or classes, etc.) and is sent to Africa with an "A+ student" type, but the two are woefully unprepared for the extreme suffering they encounter there. Still, the LDS missionaries are the heroes of the show and are very sympathetic, which reflects Parker & Stone's affection for their Mormon friends, whom they've repeatedly called the "nicest people" they know. You still might not want to see this show, but I hope I've been able to alleviate some of the upset feelings, at least... (Also, I can't imagine listening to the songs out of context - yikes!) :)
Hey! Thanks for the comment. Although I still don't want to see the show, it never hurts to understand a little bit more about it. I know I can't have a complete opinion without actually seeing the show, but hearing the songs and such made me a bit upset. But thanks for enlightening me a bit more!
Delete