Skip to main content

Little Bit o Writing Monday!


Here's my first homework assignment! Woo! We had to write about our experiences in writing.

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” Ray Bradbury. When I was little, the other kids could barely keep up with the intricate stories going through my head. That’s why they never played Barbie’s with me. And that was ok.

In 1st grade I remember the first day, I was scolded for starting all my sentences with and. Apparently only published authors were allowed to do that. When I was nine, my grandma told me there were no good books coming out lately. That night I went and wrote a love story for her about two antelopes that fell in love over the rainbow. Not trying to brag or anything, but it was a pretty rousing drama full of politically correct antelope mating calls.

I told my third grade teacher that I wanted to be an author when I grew up. She encouraged me to enter a writing contest. With high expectations, I entered my little antelope story and it’s sequels. Waited. Waited. Waited some more. No answer. Six long months later, a letter in the mail arrived with my name on it, saying that my piece had been accepted into the anthology of short stories. I won’t even bother trying to describe my excitement that day. It would take too long.

But ever since that day, I continued writing, determined to be an author. Every time I finished something that I thought was the best piece of work that could ever be written, I’d email it to all my friends and wait for their replies. Wait for them to tell me how brilliant I was. Those replies came. It took me a little bit to realize that they weren’t even reading what I was sending them. I was crushed to say the least. My dream seemed so far away.

Just recently, I realized that it isn’t about what others think, at least not all the time. I write for me. Me. I put those characters and their unique stories down. It doesn’t matter that a book with almost the same plot was published a month ago. Because they’re my stories, and they need to be told.

I love creative writing. Not so much of a fan of research and critical writing. It’s kind of my weak point. Writing is how I communicate though. The words may not always be in my mouth, but as soon as my fingers hit the keys, I can uncover them.

So basically I suck at seminars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...