Skip to main content

Little Bit o Writing Monday


The beginning of my short story for class. 

When Dora's son tugged on her pants leg, the last thing she expected was to see him holding a tooth. A tooth that clearly did not belong to him. She was no dentist, but she was smart enough to know the colossal thing couldn't have come from Mark's mouth.

“Mark, where did you find that?” Dora scolded.

“In the backyard.”

“Show me where,” Dora commanded. Excited, Mark ran out to the backyard, Dora following on his heels. He led her over to the back of the yard, to the particular corner that couldn't be seen from the kitchen window. There, her other two children were gathered around a hole in the ground. Hole was an understatement though, they'd obviously been working on this, pit, for quite sometime. If there had been no tooth, Dora would have sat the kids down and explained how digging holes this deep was dangerous because of all the water, electric, and who knows what else lines were under the yard. She'd also have to explain that they would not in fact be able to get to the other side of the earth by digging. But, there was the tooth, so the talks would have to wait.

“You found this in here?” Dora asked. Mark nodded proudly, pointing down into the pit. There was an indentation where the tooth had lain. Nearby, a speck of white caught Dora's eye. When she wasn't able to reach it by bending down alone, Dora instructed her children to stand back and she herself laid down on the ground next to the pit. Ever so gently she brushed the dirt around the speck away. More white was revealed. She brushed and brushed, the white speck turning into a spot, into a circle, and then a very large object. An object embedded deeper in the dirt. Borrowed red plastic shovel in hand, Dora loosened the object. Ever so carefully, she brought the well preserved skull back into the light of day. Then dropped it with a scream.

Dora had a hard time getting her children to leave her side as she retold what had happened to the officer who'd answered her frantic call. Only when a second officer had shown up was she able to walk the man to where the skull lay. A few pieces has broken off from Dora dropping it, but it was obviously a skull. The officer picked it up wearing latex gloves, turning it ever so carefully in his hands.

“Ma'am, I'm going to have to call in someone else to examine this. See if this is a human skull, and if it is, approximately how old it is.” The officer pulled out a cell phone and took a few steps away so that Dora couldn't hear his rushed words. That was when Dora was able to get a good look at the skull. It's wide empty eyes. Holes where nostrils had been. A gap in the teeth, presumably where the tooth Mark had found went. The face seemed to be mocking her, telling her that that this was just the beginning.

Comments

  1. I've been watching Bones. This totally reminds me of an awesome beginning to an episode. Definitely intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Christmas Lights

It’s funny having a baby and then trying to do things. I’ve noticed over the last year that I’ve gotten an I Can’t do that sort of attitude. We can’t do that because Aaron will cry and we’ll get cranky and so on. I’m really trying to work on that.  My anxiety out in public is much worse too. Now I have two people to protect not just myself. The library definitely changed how I look at places and I wish it hadn’t.  Sammy really wanted to go to a Christmas village downtown but I was too overwhelmed by all the logistics. So we compromised and went to one near us. It was so much fun! It was cold out but not too too bad. Aaron loves looking at the Christmas lights at our apartments, and he really loved these ones. It was so much more fun trying to look at these things through his eyes.  He was also fascinated by the mini Santa and Mrs. Clause at grandma’s house.  I’m so glad we went and can’t wait to go next year when he’s walking:)