Skip to main content

Flying

Last year when I started going to counseling for my anxiety, the first thing she asked me was one of my goals. Well, it was to not be anxious anymore. That wasn't the most measurable or realistic goal for me then or now, so she asked me to think of another. So, I settled on flying on an airplane. It was one of my biggest fears for so many reasons, number one being anxiety. 

Fast forward to two weeks ago. We were in the middle of Indiana and out options to get home were twenty hour road trip or flying. Sammy and I decided on flying. I tried not to think about the fact I was flying as little as possible. The airport was a five hour adventure. I watched one plane landing and freaked out so I didn't do that.

Sammy was so awesome. He explained everything about the plane in detail so I'd know what to expect. My dad gave me a bunch of flying tips and that really helped since I know he gets sick like me. We got  on the plane and it was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. We settled in  and Sammy held my hand really right. 

I felt so confident with Sammy there and all my flight tips. I made sure to chew fun during take off like a blogger said;) I watched XMen Days of Future Past. It was only about ten minutes shorter than the flight. With every slight bump I breathed through it, reassuring myself it would be ok. 

I about broke Sammy's hand during landing though. That was rougher than I thought it would be. My ears hurt so bad like I'd never felt before. I understood what was happening but seriously thought my ear drum was going to burst. And then, we were landed! 

Sammy kept telling me over and over how proud he was of me. He thought I was going to be a hyperventilating mess. I thought I was too! But I used all the strategies I've been working on and I know Heavenly Father definitely calmed me as well. 
I'm proud of myself. I conquered one of my biggest fears! I flew! I know it was a really smooth flight but it was flying all the same. I keep thinking back to the flight when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I did that! Somehow I'll get through everything else. 

Do I want to fly again anytime soon? Not really. 

Comments

  1. Yay! So proud of you! Baby steps. Maybe someday New York. :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love traveling (and flying) but it gives me such bad anxiety. I literally bawled on the flights from KY to Colorado to Utah and back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...