Almost a year ago, Sammy had planned at trip to visit California the week after I graduated college. That trip was soon cancelled when I got a job and had to start the day we were going to leave. That summer when we finally went to our apartment pool, despite living here two years, it was glorious. That was when the wheels got turning and we decided that we were going to go on a beach trip! And not to California because the water is too cold.
Originally we had plans to go to Florida, but there were a lot of problems with that. The plane tickets were really expensive, we're still to young to rent rental cars without paying a whole lot extra, and Sammy has a lot of family there. While it's great to see family, we wanted a vacation just the two of us. Sammy's coworker suggested we check out Apple Vacations and that was the best thing we could have done. An all expense included trip to Mexico was cheaper than our plane tickets would have been to Florida.
After almost a year of planning, the day of our trip actually arrived! And boy, did we need it. The week before the trip we had to call the police six times at my work, and Sammy had midterms, so we were both a bit of a mess. I was really nervous about getting to sleep the night before, but I was out until our alarm went off at 4 in the morning. Sammy's dad dropped us off at the airport, and we had a few hours just to hang out. I kept telling Sammy over and over that this was so weird. I'd had more than two hours hanging out with him, just him, and we didn't have a list of tasks to do.
I peed eleven times before we boarded the plane. I made Sammy walk the moving sidewalk a few times with me, even though our gate was right next to the entrance, saying that I felt like I was in Twilight the whole way. (That's how they made the vampires move in the first one, and why it looks horrible.) We saw these pieces of lovely literature in the gift shops.
Side note- Since working in the library, I hate James Patterson even more. I've moved on from just being annoyed that he doesn't write any of his books. I've fully accepted that. Now I'm annoyed because he has approximately fifty million books, and people request them all the time, so I have to dig through all of them, and the one people want has always been stolen.
I also hate that he has taken what is called a novella, an art form with it's own history and beauty, and has called it a Bookshot, and everyone thinks it's this new great innovation. No. It's not. Side note over.
The flight was pretty good, in that I didn't get motion sick. The man in our row had packed himself a feast. He started off with salami, cheese, and crackers. Then he moved onto a sandwich. Then string cheese. Then gummy bears. Then some chips. Sammy and I were so confused. We watched the newest Bourne movie which was the perfect length of time for our flight. I also had to pee in the middle of the flight which was something I'd been stressed about. When I finally reached the bathroom, figured out the doors and locks, my bladder became instantly shy. I was in there for quite some time, begging my bladder to release. Yeah, that was fun.
Landing was horrible. I'd read online before some tips about how to help your ears pop while on flights. So, as soon as I felt us start to descend, I started chewing some gum. My right ear exploded into some of the worst pain I've ever felt though, going down my jaw and neck. I really thought my ear was going to burst, and was pretty freaked out. I kept swallowing, trying to yawn, take deep breathes, but nothing helped. When we landed, the pain subsided but my ear still refused to pop. It was muffled and I could barely hear out of it, which was great when going through customs. Thankfully Sammy led me through everything and I didn't have to talk much because I couldn't hear.
Customs was odd. Once we filled out all of our paperwork, we were asked if we had cigarettes or alcohol, and then had to press a green button saying we didn't, and that was it. We were in Mexico. I'd been nervous to walk through the airport because Sammy had warned me that people would try to pull me aside and sell me timeshares. But walking through was fine, and we found the Apple Vacations van to drop us off at our hotel. There were bars right outside the airport so people could start to get their drinking on.
Waiting in the van
I was amazed by the trees and plants everywhere as we drove down the highway to our resort. Thankfully, we weren't too far away and got there quickly. When we pulled up to the resort, a man helped me out of the van, grabbed our luggage, and then handed me a glass of champagne. I wasn't really sure what to do with it, and Sammy told him in Spanish that we didn't drink. They seemed very confused by that.
Check in was easy, and then we were off to our room. The room was beautiful and had a balcony. We changed into shorts immediately, and then Sammy started pulling out the guidebooks and other things to read. I however, was hungry, which soon turned into hanger. Fearing for his life, we went off into the resort to find some food. There was a buffet open with snacks next to the pool.
After our snack, we walked towards the beach. To our surprise, we saw three deer chasing each other. Then they turned and ran right next to me, so close I could have touched them. They looked very different from the deer I'm used to seeing, with hair so short they looked like greyhounds. There was so much wildlife on the resort, which was one of my favorite parts.
Before this, I'd only been to the beach once in California, and didn't really get to stay for long. Plus, it was freezing. That was not the case here. I threw off my shoes and got right into the warm water, singing Moana songs.
I was astounded at how beautiful it was, the warm water, the beautiful sky, the sand. It was truly paradise.
Sammy and I went back to the beach after dinner because I wanted to have a moonlit walk on the beach. It was terrifying. There were no lights anywhere, and the ocean wasn't as calm. I'm still glad that we did it, because we were able to look up at the stars.
Pretty tired from traveling, we returned to our room and turned on the t.v. And then we watched Pawn Stars in Spanish which was amazing. I loved the voice overs that they got for everyone, Sammy and I couldn't stop giggling. There was music blasting from the hotel courtyard where a dance party was happening, but we were both too tired to join. We fell asleep so excited for the rest of our vacation.






Comments
Post a Comment