On the fourth day in Mexico we went to see Tulum. They're ancient Maya ruins on the coast and I was beyond excited. I've been drafting a fantasy series for a few years now that is based on Mayan history, and going to see actual ruins is the kind of research that I need. I've always been interested in the ancient civilizations in Central and South America since I'm LDS. I've grown up reading the Book of Mormon which was written by the people living in the Americas before, during, and after Christ's life. Now, I'm in no way saying that the Maya people, or the Aztecs, Incas, or anyone are the people from the Book of Mormon. I do sometimes notice slight overlaps between what I'm reading there and what I learn about those cultures, but that doesn't mean anything. It's just part of the reason I've always been so interested in the Maya people.
But, the morning of the trip I was terrified. I'd gotten sea sick kayaking, and knew we would be in vans or buses to get to the ruins, so I was nervous. I panic when I don't have control of a situation, and here I had no control except to not go. It didn't help when we were picked up that the van stopped on the side of the road, and told us we had to wait for a bus, which would be here in 'five Mexican minutes.' Twenty minutes later, a bus finally appeared and I tried to calm down as we drove to the ruins.
Our tour guide on the bus was awesome. He told us about the area and told exactly what to expect when we arrived at the ruins, and what to expect during our tour. He informed us that we wouldn't be able to get near any of the ruins or go inside since fellow tourists over the years had taken to scraping paint off the walls and making peepee in the corners. Yay tourists.

We first learned about the tree of life and the mythology of it. Of course, writing this a week later I can't even remember it, going back to work sucked it out.

We entered the city of Tulum by going through this low stone archway. It's hard to tell in the photo, but it's quite short. Tulum was surrounded on all sides by a wall. When Sammy heard that, he said how convenient, a wall. The tour guide replied, "Yep, and it's already paid for." He then stayed near Sammy the rest of the tour and was asking him questions. Seriously every guide that we worked with loved Sammy because he could actually speak Spanish. It was so awesome seeing Sammy speak with everyone and when I grow up I want to be able to speak Spanish like him😍😍😍


The Maya knew quite a bit about astronomy, and the building behind us is proof of that. The inside is painted completely blue, and on the Spring and Fall equinox, the sun goes straight through the opening in the building. The day we went was the exact day that it happened, except it had happened in the morning before anyone was there. I'm so grateful that we went there and not to Chichen Itza because the sun lines up in the afternoon there, and they were expecting 900,000 people that day. Ahh!!
We made some friends in Tulum who were from Israel and much older than us. But it turned out that the wife had gotten her masters degree online at a college in our state, so she'd had to visit once every year, and she and her husband had stayed in our city when there. They were also flying back on our flight. It seriously is a small world.
After the tour, Sammy and I squeezed around all the people, then finally headed to the bookstore to find some books for my research. They had air condition in one spot of the store, so we stood there for a bit because Tulum was HOT. After finding books, we shopped for more souvenirs and Sammy bought me some Mexican Doritos. They're a different flavor and so. much. better. Honestly sitting on the curb eating Doritos with my best friend was one of my favorite moments. It was so simple.
On the tour bus back there was a very excited British man who'd bought a giant sombrero. It was hilarious hearing him talk in his accent about it.
After the tour bus returned us, we went straight to the beach and finally got to sit in one of the cabanas next to the ocean. I took a nap and read for a few hours and it was absolutely glorious. We just moved the curtains depending on whether we wanted the sun or not and it was like being in our own world.

There was also a foam party at the pool. I was hesitant to go, but Sammy finally convinced me to, and I'm so glad we went. There was a giant rubber duck being thrown around the pool that was a bit terrifying, but it was still fun. At one point our friend Mowgli beckoned Sammy to swim over. He had a green squirt bottle in his hands, and we both thought it was colored bubbles or something. We quickly realized he was trying to pour Tequila down Sammy's throat and swam away.
I stood next to the beach and sang my little Moana heart out some more, and was very upset to realize I'd gotten a toms tan line. I had one all of last summer and was trying to get rid of it. Even though I'd worn flip flops every single day except for when we were walking around Tulum, there it was.

Sammy and I ate at the fancy Italian restaurant again that night, and this time I ordered a salad with actual lettuce. But Sammy got the soup and it was amazing, so I'd wished I'd gotten that. I still couldn't believe that we were eating fancy food, right on the ocean.

Such fancy ravioli

There was a magic show that night, and Sammy and I didn't want to go inside, so we watched from outside on the glass. I'm so glad we weren't in there. The crowd was pitiful and the magician was horrible. After every single little trick he'd throw his arms out as if saying Ta Da! His tricks were lame, and it seriously bothered me that all the stage assistants were so scantily dressed. Come on. You can do great magic without having to ogle women. Giggling, we finally went back to our room.
But, the morning of the trip I was terrified. I'd gotten sea sick kayaking, and knew we would be in vans or buses to get to the ruins, so I was nervous. I panic when I don't have control of a situation, and here I had no control except to not go. It didn't help when we were picked up that the van stopped on the side of the road, and told us we had to wait for a bus, which would be here in 'five Mexican minutes.' Twenty minutes later, a bus finally appeared and I tried to calm down as we drove to the ruins.
Our tour guide on the bus was awesome. He told us about the area and told exactly what to expect when we arrived at the ruins, and what to expect during our tour. He informed us that we wouldn't be able to get near any of the ruins or go inside since fellow tourists over the years had taken to scraping paint off the walls and making peepee in the corners. Yay tourists.

We first learned about the tree of life and the mythology of it. Of course, writing this a week later I can't even remember it, going back to work sucked it out.

We entered the city of Tulum by going through this low stone archway. It's hard to tell in the photo, but it's quite short. Tulum was surrounded on all sides by a wall. When Sammy heard that, he said how convenient, a wall. The tour guide replied, "Yep, and it's already paid for." He then stayed near Sammy the rest of the tour and was asking him questions. Seriously every guide that we worked with loved Sammy because he could actually speak Spanish. It was so awesome seeing Sammy speak with everyone and when I grow up I want to be able to speak Spanish like him😍😍😍
![]() |
| The entrance to the Cenotes or sacred pools |

![]() |
| Leftover home of royalty |
| Temple |
The temple has two original red handprints on it in the top left. In the center is a carving dedicated to the "Descending God." They believed that he was going to come and save them, and when white men with ships appeared, they thought it might be him.
Our guide told us over and over that we just had to use our imagination to think about how these people lived here. There's no way that we can go back in time and ask them, but they were people just like us with similar wants and desires, living in these buildings, and just trying to get by and be happy. The guide said some historians think they tattooed and pierced themselves for the same reasons we do today, in an effort to find happiness.
The Maya knew quite a bit about astronomy, and the building behind us is proof of that. The inside is painted completely blue, and on the Spring and Fall equinox, the sun goes straight through the opening in the building. The day we went was the exact day that it happened, except it had happened in the morning before anyone was there. I'm so grateful that we went there and not to Chichen Itza because the sun lines up in the afternoon there, and they were expecting 900,000 people that day. Ahh!!
We made some friends in Tulum who were from Israel and much older than us. But it turned out that the wife had gotten her masters degree online at a college in our state, so she'd had to visit once every year, and she and her husband had stayed in our city when there. They were also flying back on our flight. It seriously is a small world.
After the tour, Sammy and I squeezed around all the people, then finally headed to the bookstore to find some books for my research. They had air condition in one spot of the store, so we stood there for a bit because Tulum was HOT. After finding books, we shopped for more souvenirs and Sammy bought me some Mexican Doritos. They're a different flavor and so. much. better. Honestly sitting on the curb eating Doritos with my best friend was one of my favorite moments. It was so simple.
On the tour bus back there was a very excited British man who'd bought a giant sombrero. It was hilarious hearing him talk in his accent about it.
After the tour bus returned us, we went straight to the beach and finally got to sit in one of the cabanas next to the ocean. I took a nap and read for a few hours and it was absolutely glorious. We just moved the curtains depending on whether we wanted the sun or not and it was like being in our own world.

There was also a foam party at the pool. I was hesitant to go, but Sammy finally convinced me to, and I'm so glad we went. There was a giant rubber duck being thrown around the pool that was a bit terrifying, but it was still fun. At one point our friend Mowgli beckoned Sammy to swim over. He had a green squirt bottle in his hands, and we both thought it was colored bubbles or something. We quickly realized he was trying to pour Tequila down Sammy's throat and swam away.
This isn't us because we didn't bring our phones, but this is what went down
Sammy and I ate at the fancy Italian restaurant again that night, and this time I ordered a salad with actual lettuce. But Sammy got the soup and it was amazing, so I'd wished I'd gotten that. I still couldn't believe that we were eating fancy food, right on the ocean.

Such fancy ravioli

There was a magic show that night, and Sammy and I didn't want to go inside, so we watched from outside on the glass. I'm so glad we weren't in there. The crowd was pitiful and the magician was horrible. After every single little trick he'd throw his arms out as if saying Ta Da! His tricks were lame, and it seriously bothered me that all the stage assistants were so scantily dressed. Come on. You can do great magic without having to ogle women. Giggling, we finally went back to our room.




I went to a foam party in college and was so creeped out with the thought of who knows what was happening in the foam that I left after like 15 minutes...
ReplyDelete