A few months ago we were challenged by the prophet to go on a social media fast for ten days. When I'd tried to do one earlier in the year, I hadn't been able to do it and became extremely anxious. This time I decided to do one the week before Christmas. I noticed that I was getting angry all of the time and was missing out on some of the cute things Aaron did. I was tired of getting unsolicited advice and opinions on everything, so I decided to take a break, hoping that I wouldn't get super anxious again.
I was instantly so much happier. I wasn't comparing my life to everyone else's. I wasn't looking at all of the pictures of other babies and comparing Aaron to them, wondering if he was behind on milestones, or feeling smug that he was ahead on others. I didn't search for all of those likes and feel disappointed when I didn't get as many as the last picture. And I didn't have everyone's voices in my head all day long. I'd noticed that most of my social media had gotten pretty negative, but I hadn't realized how much it was weighing me down.
After the ten days were up, I went onto instagram for a moment to see what everyone was up to. I immediately felt heavy and weighed down again. I didn't feel excited or anything. I deleted the app pretty soon after, and I have no plans right now to get back on it or my other profiles. I just don't need that in my life right now. I'm not getting anything positive out of social media at this moment except for knowing when people get engaged or have a baby.
So goodbye social media. I really don't miss you.
Comments
Post a Comment