I've been taking Aaron to story time at the library recently and it has been so fun! First off, it makes me super sad to see how much effort is put into these story times by my house versus the story times at the library I worked at. At our library they read a few books, might sing a song, and then would do a little craft. But, if the LA who usually did those wasn't there, there either wouldn't be a story time, or the staff would fight over who had to do it. Once I volunteered to do it and had no idea what I was doing. I picked a few books that I liked and that was it. The kids HATED it, and now going to actual story times I know why. The books I picked were way too long, and we didn't do any activities.
There were usually only two or three kids as well.
But at our library, they sing to all the kids, there are puppets, she teaches us how to help them with their balance, gives us diaper changing songs to try and make that a little more fun, we learn sign language, each story time has a theme like colors, bugs, shapes, etc. I've learned tips for trying to make reading more fun for Aaron, and he gets to play with scarves, shakers, and more.
The first time I went to story time I didn't go back for a few months because I was so overwhelmed. I felt like I was seriously slacking on not having taught Aaron any of these things before. Plus, there were so many songs I didn't know, and all the other moms seemed to know each other. I'm so glad I tried it again though. I've realized that that's why we go to story time, to learn new things. All of the mom's who knew each other already moved onto toddler story time and there's a new set in there. (Although I won't lie, I've had some weird interactions with some of them.) And Aaron loves it!
He sits and watches the librarian so intently. When the owl comes to sing hello to him, he doesn't even look at it because he's looking at the librarian. He's so cute and will turn around and look up at me and smile when he's really loving it. He smiles so big whenever the owl sings to the other kids.
There were usually only two or three kids as well.
But at our library, they sing to all the kids, there are puppets, she teaches us how to help them with their balance, gives us diaper changing songs to try and make that a little more fun, we learn sign language, each story time has a theme like colors, bugs, shapes, etc. I've learned tips for trying to make reading more fun for Aaron, and he gets to play with scarves, shakers, and more.
The first time I went to story time I didn't go back for a few months because I was so overwhelmed. I felt like I was seriously slacking on not having taught Aaron any of these things before. Plus, there were so many songs I didn't know, and all the other moms seemed to know each other. I'm so glad I tried it again though. I've realized that that's why we go to story time, to learn new things. All of the mom's who knew each other already moved onto toddler story time and there's a new set in there. (Although I won't lie, I've had some weird interactions with some of them.) And Aaron loves it!
He sits and watches the librarian so intently. When the owl comes to sing hello to him, he doesn't even look at it because he's looking at the librarian. He's so cute and will turn around and look up at me and smile when he's really loving it. He smiles so big whenever the owl sings to the other kids.
He LOVES to people watch.
We went to the library on the weekend as a family and Aaron had a great time. While we looked for books he crawled through the stacks and banged on the bottom shelves. Then we took him into the children's area and he had a great time playing with this latch toy. We also took a picture with the alien.
Before he was crawling, he scooted himself into the middle of the mat so that he could get a better view of the librarian. I feel like he's going to really enjoy school when he's older.
Now that he is crawling, he tries to steal other babies pacifiers, and he crawls right up to the librarian when she reads the book so that he can get a good view. It makes me a little sad because he absolutely refuses to read with me! He shuts the book the whole time or whines. But he loves when others read to him.
I'm glad that Aaron likes going to library and I hope that's something he continues to enjoy.












Comments
Post a Comment