Skip to main content

Sensory Memories

In trying to get over my birth trauma, my therapist suggested that I try to focus on sensory memories. Those traumatic moments I can remember so viscerally that it takes me right back into that moment. I can remember what I felt, what I saw, what I heard, what I smelt. She challenged me to remember those same senses for the happy moments as well. That first hour I was with Aaron and his weight on my chest, how warm he was. His perfect newborn smell.  Stroking his soft wrinkly little hands and wondering how they could be so small and perfect. 

There is research that shows when we focus on our five senses in a moment, we can remember it better like we are reliving it. So I've been really working to try and stay in the moment when I'm making memories and all those senses. 

I want to remember what it's like to go get Aaron for his first feeding every night after he's had a bath. How he smells like lavender and his hair is so soft against my cheek as I try to comfort him while Sammy makes him a bottle. How he's searching for a bottle and his eyes are all blinky and that little sigh of relief when he sees it. How I carry him to his room and he squirms against my chest to make sure Sammy is walking behind me with the bottle still. How I squish his little feet that are starting to get a little more chubby and am amazed at how soft they are and how much bigger they're getting. 

I want to remember the weight of him on my chest and in my lap when he was slightly sleepy at church and how he curled against me, sucking on his pacifier, perfectly content just laying against me. 

I want to remember the time I was at the doctor feeling a little nervous about all the medical tests they wanted to do for some stomach pain and how Aaron was sitting with his legs in the air and he reached up with his little fingers to grab my hand. How comforting that little touch was and how glad I was to not be alone and have my boy with me. How sweet he is. 

I want to remember the cool frosty I was having and how glad I was that Sammy had warned me before driving home from an appointment to take a different way home and how thankful I was that he always looks out for me. And that he brought home dinner too and even got me some ice cream. The look on Aaron's face as I took a bite and how he reached out wanting some. I always share my food with him and he knew that I wasn't sharing and seemed so betrayed. That look of pure joy on his face when he tasted the chocolate and the sound of Sammy and I cracking up as we watch this little person discover all these new things. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Getting lost makes me feel ashfishsihfasjshd ngklea sometimes.

Yesterday was my first shift at my new job at the college bookstore. It went pretty great! I like being a cashier a whole lot more than organizing the same bin of bras the fifth time that hour. Ringing up customers text books made me excited to go get mine and start the learning. I probably won't be feeling that way in a few weeks though haha. I'm nowhere close to getting the hang of the cash register yet, but I know how to answer most questions. (You usually just send them to the book section and make the people over there deal with it.) The only time I was completely confused was when a guy came in and asked me for directions to another city. I didn't know being a gps was expected. Over all a great day. Then today happened. Today I wasn't even officially working, I had a mandatory sexual harassment and work place violence meeting. Woo! Sounds fun huh? I showed up ten minutes early, clocked in, then was told to head to the North Classrooms. I looked around and there ...