Skip to main content

More Short Story.


(P.S. I based this story on a song by All Time Low called Remembering Sunday.) 

“Hey, I'm Alex. It's nice to meet you.” Not what I'd been expecting. He'd looked me right in the eyes, those eyes he'd said he could write an endless amount of songs about. He'd looked right at them, and hadn't recognized me. Yeah, I'd changed a bit too. Given in my too small converse for heels. Let my razor cut hair reach past my shoulders, and someone with experience use scissors. Wrinkles had started to form in the corners of my eyes and lips. Ten years tend to do that to a person.

Alex was looking at me with expectation.
“Julie.”

“Nice name. Is it alright if we warm up?”

“You do whatever you want.” I turned and carefully made my way to the mixer next door, thankful for the tinted glass and that Lance was here. If he wasn't, I might have just left the building. That or pulled the fire alarm.

Whenever doing a session, I always record the band warming up without telling them. Sometimes that's when I get the best sound because they don't know the mics are listening. The same went for today. Alex and the others started running straight through their song without any prompting. I turned on the mics and sat back.

Remembering Sunday he falls to his knees, they had breakfast together but two eggs don't last like the feeling of what he needs. . .” I'd only been half listening, messing with balancing pitches, but the mention of two eggs caught my attention.

I don't mean to be a bother but have you seen this girl? She's been running through my dreams and it's driving me crazy it seems. I'm gonna ask her to marry me.” I'd always thought Alex was going to propose to me, but that didn't mean anything.

The neighbors said she moved away, funny how it rained all day. These clouds are following me in my desperate endeavor to find my whoever, wherever she may be.” Just because my ex Alex was singing a song about a girl who moved away without telling him, didn't mean it was about me. Just because I happened to make him two eggs the last time I saw him, and just because I'd thought he was going to propose didn't mean anything. It'd been ten years, he could have dated lots of girls who made eggs and moved away without any notice on Sundays.

I'm not coming back. I've done something so terrible I'm terrified to speak but you'd expect that from me. I'm mixed up I'll be blunt now the rain is just washing you out of my hair and out of my mind.” Bile ran up my throat but I was able to swallow it. This room was too small, I needed to get out of here. I pushed away from the table but right as I stood up, Alex strummed the last chord.
I guess I'll go home.” I waited a few seconds, then turned off all the mics.

“That was a really great take. I don't think we need to run through again,” I said into the mic that spoke into the studio. All the boys gave me shocked looks but I ignored them, telling Lance that he could finish this session up. I walked out into the hall, pressed my back against the wall and slowly slid to the floor. I rested there with my head between my knees until the lack edges disappeared from my vision.
I pulled my wallet out of my back pocket, flipping through the business cards, sticky notes, and fortune cookie wrappers until my fingers found the photo paper. The creases from my wallet had formed splintering lines in the fourths of the paper. My name and the date was still visible in the corner. June 14th 2003. The black grey and white still mixed perfectly to form that perfect bean. The dark oval off center towards the right. That thin little line towards the bottom. Lorraine didn't see it no matter how many times I showed her, but I swore that baby was smiling.





I slammed the door, scattering the cutouts of wedding cakes across the floor.
“Hey! I just spent-” Lorraine cut off after seeing my face. “What happened?” I told her about the day. She gasped, swore, and yanked at her hair in all the right places. By the time my eyes ran out of water Lorraine had already come up with a plan.
“Ok. He recorded his song and you got a good take. All you're required to do at this point is mix the song, right?”
“Right.”
“Lets get this over with.” Lorraine tiptoed through the cutouts to where my bag rested at the door. She grabbed the fingerprint covered laptop out and set it on the coffee table.
“We're both not moving until it's done. Then we can pig out on wedding cake samples.”
“Isn't that something that you're supposed to do with your fiance?”
“He doesn't like cake remember?”
“Then why do you have cake samples?”
“Will you shut up? You're letting Marie Antoinette down. Let me eat cake.”
At 1:13 the burned cd popped out of my laptop. I'd shared the file on our work network as required. My job was done. Cake never tasted so good.





Subject: Album Recording
Date: March 7, 2013
To: Julie May <julie.may@gmail.com>

Julie,
That recording you did two months ago of the song “Remembering Sunday” has created quite some buzz in the music community. I've been speaking with the band, and they've agreed to do their first album with us. I've decided that it's only right that you're the one to record it. You've been talking about wanting bigger projects, here's your chance. Recording starts tomorrow. Good luck!

Comments

  1. Maybe it's just me and my tired state, but I got incredibly lost when she pulled her wallet out. And did you skip parts of the story where your big breaks are (after the wallet-scene and again before the email)?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Christmas Lights

It’s funny having a baby and then trying to do things. I’ve noticed over the last year that I’ve gotten an I Can’t do that sort of attitude. We can’t do that because Aaron will cry and we’ll get cranky and so on. I’m really trying to work on that.  My anxiety out in public is much worse too. Now I have two people to protect not just myself. The library definitely changed how I look at places and I wish it hadn’t.  Sammy really wanted to go to a Christmas village downtown but I was too overwhelmed by all the logistics. So we compromised and went to one near us. It was so much fun! It was cold out but not too too bad. Aaron loves looking at the Christmas lights at our apartments, and he really loved these ones. It was so much more fun trying to look at these things through his eyes.  He was also fascinated by the mini Santa and Mrs. Clause at grandma’s house.  I’m so glad we went and can’t wait to go next year when he’s walking:)