Skip to main content

The Mormon in the Room

One thing that's always interesting when meeting new people is bringing up my beliefs. I'm thankful that I've grown up in a place where not everyone shares them, and I get the opportunity to learn from so many other people and their beliefs. Starting at my new job, I knew that I was going to have to bring up my religion at some point. It's such a big part of my life that it has to come up. Especially in the real world where there's a coffee pot brewing in the back, along with a tea kettle, and I get invited out to drink. 

I shared my beliefs one by one with my co-workers. Some, to explain why I didn't want some coffee, other's to share about the new temple opening up nearby. Everyone was very respectful and nice about it, and two of my co-workers know a lot about my religion which was nice.

However, there was one co-worker I was worried about. I'd heard rumors that they can hold grudges. They were planning a party on a Sunday, and it came off that it was very mandatory to attend this party. I wasn't going to though because I had church at the same time. When I told them this, they told me that I could just skip it. Which, technically I guess I could, but it's more than that. I believe in keeping the sabbath day holy, and also I don't drink. So going to a party where there would be drinking wasn't really something I wanted to skip church for.

A few days later, at a retirement party, there was a cake there. I got a piece of it, then stopped eating after a few bites because I could taste coffee in the cake. No big deal. The co-worker I'd been worried about came up to me a bit later and was like, "Kylee! I'm so sorry. I didn't tell you there was coffee in that cake, I know you don't eat or drink that." She then started telling me about one of her friends who'd served a mission, and so on. I hadn't even told her I was Mormon yet. I guess one of my co-workers did. I was really touched that she was so cool about it and worried about me eating that cake. She also stopped telling me about the party and how I needed to be there, instead being understanding about how important Sunday's are to me.

The next day she was brewing some coffee and told me that she'd brewed a cup just for me, in a joking matter. I joked along. I'm so glad that I get to be myself and be respected at my place of work for my beliefs. It's such a relief. 

Comments

  1. I love that your new co-workers are curious and respectful of your beliefs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...