Skip to main content

College, College, I Wanna Go To College!

Yesterday was my college interview for the honors program there. I wasn't completely sure if I wanted to do it because I've been doing Honors since middle school and I wanted to take a break, but now I'm completely sure it's what I want to do!

It was a little stressful getting there though. My tummy wasn't feeling good and it was 80 degrees outside so there was no way I was going to wear the fancy pants. Don't worry, I'll probably find another day to wear them! So I was running around like a wild woman finding something to wear. When I did finally find something, it was wrinkled so I had to iron it. But I haven't had to iron anything in a long time so I didn't know where the iron was or that we'd switched from the spray to iron steam. My kind mother helped me out and ironed them while I tried to make my hair look a little more fancy then it usually does. But that was a fail too so I just left it.

Then we had to drive there which was stressful because neither of us know where anything in Denver is and we didn't want to get lost and ahh. But traffic was good and we found the place. Although the map said it was free parking but it definitely wasn't. It was 25 cents for eight minutes! Not free. There was this funny taxi cab driver who was just sitting in the middle of the street with his windows down talking to himself REALLY loud. It was pretty funny. By the time I realized I should take a picture of him, he was already driving away.

Since we'd factored in plenty of getting lost time, my mom and I sat in the park for awhile. It was such a pretty park. All the buildings around it were really old and beautiful houses. My mom pointed out from the way the trees were lined up this was probably main street and the awkward grass in the middle was where the old street used to be. It was so cool! I hope I get into the honors program, because that means I'll be spending alot of my time there! My head was spinning with story ideas. . .

Me and my mommy :)

Isn't that so cool?!

The Bench that I will forever remember waiting at!
When 1:00 finally rolled around I was a nervous sweaty wreck. But I had to do what I had to do. So I walked over to the right house and not sure what I was supposed to do, rang the doorbell. I could see all the people walking around inside. I waited there awkwardly for a bit and then finally let myself in. I saw college kids walking around everywhere. And an older man. I walked over to the older man and asked if this was the honors thingy. Yes, I said thingy. He told me it was and that the seminar would start in half an hour and that Stephanie would show me around.

This really nice college girl named Stephanie came up to me and then took me over to where her and her friends were eating and I just sat there and listened to their conversations. They tried to include me and told me a lot about the honors program, but I am totally fine with sitting and being quiet! There was one girl who told me how everyone was scared of her 1st semester because she wrote her term paper on cannibalism. The topic was food sustainability. Hey, it makes sense, and she's not the first one to say that. See A Modest Proposal ;) Before the class they all had to make a bagel stop. They needed their bagels!

The seminar was actually just a guy from the DEA talking about what he does for a living. It was really cool and I really enjoyed it! I was so glad that I'd brought a notebook because I took notes so the DEA man wouldn't know that I wasn't actually a college student. He was really cool, I knew the DEA dealt with drugs but not really what they do. It was really sad though because he was saying how people say marijuana is a victimless drug but it's really not. He told us about all the visits he's made in the past month to houses where the parents were high and they forgot about their kids in the bathtub, or smacked them and gave them concussions for doing something dumb. You don't have control of yourself. It's not victimless. I personally hate not being in control of things and just don't understand why people need drugs. . .

Random tangent over. After the seminar I had to wait thirty minutes for my interview. In that time I drank a whole waterbottle because I was nervous and my throat was all dry and I was just so. thirsty. Bad idea for the drive home. We were stuck in traffic and I had to pee soooo bad! But then I went in for my interview and waited and then this really nice lady opened the cool sliding doors and told me to come in. This was back in those fancy houses. I want a house with awesome sliding doors that I can just burst open with a cape and be creepy. Ha anyways. . . . I walked in the room and there were eight other people in their. I sat in the spinny rolly chair and this guy was like try not to look too excited. What? I love rolly chairs!

They all introduced themselves and told me what they taught and I didn't know what I was supposed to say after each one talked so I just said cool, cool. Note to self, do not say cool during interviews. Ha. There was this cool dude with a yellow bow tie! Anyways. They asked me to say something about myself that they couldn't have learned from my application and the only thing I could think of is that I;m scared of elevators. And all of the teachers/professors? said me too! There was this cute little lady sitting next to me, she was so cool! She was the most afraid of elevators.

Remember those nightmares I had about this interview? Where the only question they asked me was how to pronounce my last name? THAT WAS THE FIRST OFFICIAL QUESTION THEY ASKED ME! I know, I'm a psychic. I don't need to go to college I'll just have a psychic show like that lady on TLC. But then they asked me about second wind and I rambled on about that for like ever because I was so nervous. And the second question was what are three things I can't do with duct tape. That right there proves they liked my essay! It was about duct tape.

They also asked about my photography and called me a photographer and I was like, well I like to call myself one but I'm nowhere near a professional and told them about climbing into bushes for pictures and under desks. They said I could take the pictures for their website. Ahh yeah. I felt a little silly talking about doing yearbook in college but hey ya know what? They were all seniors once and they all had yearbooks so HA!

The interview wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was even grateful for physics. I know, I never thought this day would come. But they asked me about calculating gravity if you can't use Newtons Shell Theorom. And we got this question the other day in physics but I haven't had time to attempt it yet! So I told them I didn't know how to do that yet. And mentioned Newtons Shell Theorom to sound smart.

 The only question I got really hung up on was what would I do if a doctor with a big ego was wrong and wouldn't listen to me. I said I watch House so I've seen the craziest doctor of all. But then they wanted me to really answer it and I said I would stick to my gut and do what I knew was right. And then I said I don't believe in always following authority if they're doing something thats wrong like those people at the McDonalds who sexually assaulted someone because the boss said too. After that popped out of my mouth I was like, did I really just say that? I hope they don't think I'm a freak. Hahaha!

We were all laughing and I think I did alright. I really hope I get in. When I left the lady who I've been emailing said she'd be in touch. My fingers are crossed. Being there got me so excited to go to college and take college classes and be with MATURE people and walk in pretty parks and write stories and ahh :) I just can't wait.

My hair got stuck on my fancy shirt on the drive home. Sad day.

Comments

  1. Someone emailed me to apply for honors at Metro. I would have if they had emailed me a year ago, but right now all it would do is make me have to take a ton of classes that I don't need for my regular degree. I wish you luck :)
    Also, I've seriously considered working for the DEA before. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Liebster-ing it up!

Funny story. A few days ago I was reading all the blogs I follow like I usually do. And of course I read  Jana's  blog and read about how she had won the Liebster award. I had no idea what it was, so I read her post full of fun facts, and for everyone I kept nodding my head going, I DO THAT TOO! Then today I re-read her blog, and realized that she'd nominated me for the Liebster award as well! It was a very exciting moment. Thank you! So I guess this is how it works, I think, I'm new to this whole thing. I totally just stole this off Jana's blog ;) "The Liebster Blog Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say 'you're doing a great job.' It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it's also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs & get them more readers/ followers! When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated y...

Christmas Lights

It’s funny having a baby and then trying to do things. I’ve noticed over the last year that I’ve gotten an I Can’t do that sort of attitude. We can’t do that because Aaron will cry and we’ll get cranky and so on. I’m really trying to work on that.  My anxiety out in public is much worse too. Now I have two people to protect not just myself. The library definitely changed how I look at places and I wish it hadn’t.  Sammy really wanted to go to a Christmas village downtown but I was too overwhelmed by all the logistics. So we compromised and went to one near us. It was so much fun! It was cold out but not too too bad. Aaron loves looking at the Christmas lights at our apartments, and he really loved these ones. It was so much more fun trying to look at these things through his eyes.  He was also fascinated by the mini Santa and Mrs. Clause at grandma’s house.  I’m so glad we went and can’t wait to go next year when he’s walking:)