Skip to main content

Just Like Us

On Friday I was able to go out to a play with my Migration, Modernity, and Literacy class. I freaking love this class. The professor is so cool. He's actually created an environment where I feel comfortable speaking, which isn't often ha. We've been discussing what it means to be human, to have rights, and societal pressures. And immigration. I've really been interested by immigration and what it's like to be an immigrant, especially since Sammy's mom immigrated here, along with other relatives of his and all his awesome neighbors that are like family to me now.

So, when the opportunity to go to a play about these very issues came up, I jumped for it. I'm so glad that I went. The play is based on Helen Thorpe's book of the same name. Helen Thorpe just so happens to be the wife of John Hickenlooper. Yeah, go Colorado! Anyways. So, Helen followed around four Latina girls for five years to see what it was like for them transitioning from high school to college. Two of the girls had documents and two of them did not. They ran into so many obstacles and situations that I'd never have thought would have been an issue or could ever happen. Like going to college. I didn't realize, there is no way these people can pay for this. They're pretty much limited to private universities which charge a whoooole lot. They can't apply for federal aid, for school loans, for anything in fear of being deported. Moms went to jail, people died. It was crazy. But the thing was, they did happen. This was those girls lives.

A really interesting moment was when one of the girls was announcing she was pregnant. She'd just graduated from DU. Helen didn't seem very excited for her, and the two of them had a conversation about how there aren't American things and Mexican things and the two cultures forever clash, that we're all people and people are complicated. And that just because she was choosing to have a family didn't mean that she was going back to her Mexican culture and giving up the American one, and what is American anyways?

I really loved the play. Hopefully it'll show around the country and not just here. It was cool though because the entire play takes place in Colorado, so I really connected. I had no idea some of the messed up things people were saying and doing, and the reasons why immigration is so complicated especially now.

There's one thing I really took away from the play. Every person is a person, and every person is complicated. We aren't just good or bad, we're a mixture. People do whatever they need to to survive and try to make a better way for their families, and who are we to judge those people when we ourselves have rights and things at our fingertips they couldn't even dream of having, and still don't have even if they risk their lives to get here.

I'm so thankful that we have art and plays like this, that are able to open your eyes in such moving ways that reading an article can't.

Comments

  1. I think the culture thing you're talking about in this play is really interesting. I took a class last year, I think, called Psychology of Group Prejudice. If you need a multicultural credit still, I recommend it. It was super interesting. But Intro to Psych might be a prereq. Anyway, we talked a lot about what it means to be American and about minority groups and how they view their culture vs how Americans view their culture. It was really fascinating to see how I fit into the mix, and why the view I had (which I thought was a lovely view and very equality-oriented) was actually part of the problem. It was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...