Skip to main content

Changing it up

Yesterday, my eavesdropping inclined ears picked up a little something that turned out to be important. There was a job opening in the campus computers department of the bookstore, and maybe that one cashier would be interested in switching, but she didn't work until Friday, so they couldn't ask them until then. When that manager left, I turned to my lead and asked him what that was about, then told him if she wasn't interested I definitely would be. My lead promptly called that manager back over and told him. We talked for a little bit, and he scheduled me for an interview the next day (today.)

The rest of my shift my lead jokingly called me a traitor. I told him I was just interested, it didn't mean anything, a girl can look at her options. Then I spent all night being worried. Why was I doing this? Was I a traitor? What if I switched and I hated it and I regretted everything and they wouldn't let me have my old job back and a meteor fell out of the sky and the dinosaurs were resurrected?

Luckily, I have a bestfriend who reassured me that I am not in fact a traitor, that this is the adult world and how it works. Sometimes I forget that when seeing coworkers drama with each other on Facebook.

So I went in for the interview. I was shaking walking in, and have no idea how I made it to the computer section. I asked the guy at the counter where the manager I was having my interview with was. He told me that he was busy, he had a meeting at one and another one at two. My heart about stopped. He'd forgotten about my interview and had scheduled another meeting and what was I supposed to do? I was about to just leave, but then I told him that I thought I had an interview at one, and now I didn't know what to do. The guy at the counter then said oh, you must be the 1:00 meeting.

I was.

The interview went great, and the more I heard the more confident I felt that this would be a good fit for me. There would be more responsibility, more freedom, and I'D GET TO WALK AROUND!!!!! Among learning other things. He also told me that their form of training is sort of just listening, which I'm excellent at considering I heard about this job the way I did. I'd start off with the same amount of hours a week, still doing cashiering but also learning all about computers, cables and such. Then, as semesters go on, my hours would slowly increase. I'd also be able to move up levels and get a chance to become Apple Certified.

The interview finished, and he said, "Well, I see no point in making you wait, would you like the job?" And I said yes.

This came out of nowhere, but it all just clicked together perfectly. I start my new duties next week and I'm very excited and very pleased. I'd been worrying about the future and moving up at work, which would have been much harder in my old position, but then here I am. Another thing I'm really excited about is that in the summer, the computers department actually has things to do instead of just standing and moping like the cashiers would. That was something I've been particularly dreading.

My dad should be so proud. I'm working with computers. Macs to be exact. Once you go Mac, you never go back.


Pumpkin Carving 2010



Comments

  1. Once you go Mac, you never go back. Umm..that couldn't be more true. Seriously. PS - Congrats. That's awesome. It's always such a blessing when all things fall together :) They always do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...