Skip to main content

I think I'm funny.

I've got a crush. He's pretty cute, with his curly black hair and dark eyes. He has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. I don't even know his name. . .

Here he is!

I can't stop watching. It's so funny. In all other seriousness, I think I'm pretty funny. Today someone wrote on the Facebook why do ppl put doe at the end of sentences? To make yourself sound dumber??!

I commented and said, What's a ppl?

Today everyone in my school received this picture in their inboxes.


Yep, that's my boyfriend, looking all professional. Proud best friend over here! He's been doing so great in college, I'm so proud of him. He made the dean's list and was picked to be in one of those greek clubs because his writing is so good. :) :) :) It's funny, he can rock an academic essay like no one's business. Me? Not so much. But let me be creative and bam. Today I wrote a pretty great piece about meter usage in poetry. By great, I mean sarcastic.

"Chapter 17 and 20 describe the different types of meter and how they are used. Then, it goes on to say that the best poems break the rules of meter and ignore them. Nevertheless, they exist. You've got your iambs- two syllables making a foot. Pentameter, five groups of feet, making your iambic pentameter that Shakespeare adored so much. There are words for any kid of grouping of syllables, number of groupings, and which syllables are emphasized. So basically, you can write a poem with almost any kind of meter, and there will be a name for it.

If you're especially bored, you can figure out the meter by using ictuses and breves. The strong looking ictus / goes over the accented syllables while the breve is a little dot going over unaccented syllables. Using ictuses and breves can help one notice when the poet may deviate from their chosen form of meter. These are metrical substitutions, and unlike substitute teachers they can add to the poem. One little break in meter will be ok, the world will continue to spin.

Then there's all the different terms for things with different syllables are emphasized that sound like bone features. Instead of memorizing them or analyzing their awesome use, how about working on the language instead. Certain syllables are always going to be emphasized, adding to the musical language. The end."

The end indeed.


Comments

  1. You crack me up. What's ppl? TOTALLY something I would have done. hahahaha. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...