Skip to main content

Fruitful

(I forgot to post this awhile ago. So I'm posting it now :)) And relating to this weeks F word- Fruitful!

There's only a few more weeks of school left, and some friends from out of state are already returning home. With a wedding coming up and finals, it's been pretty crazy! But, I've had some time to catch up with a few people home from BYU. They were very interesting conversations filled with boys, some school, books, and more boys ;) One thing in particular stood out to me, and that was their stories of how religion and school went right hand in hand. Biology lessons would be related back to the gospel, math, everything. And that's something I think is very cool! I love seeing the ways that religion and "the rest of the world" can go hand in hand.

I'm going to school in Colorado in the middle of downtown. There is an array of everything down here and I love it, well, most of it. There's also a lot of weed present. My campus and BYU have a pretty different backdrop to each other. But, in my opinion, I'm getting the same opportunity as students at a religious school are. I'm making my education fruitful in more than one way. I'm merging two worlds together. 

The past two years, when I walk into class, I don't just bring half of myself. I bring all parts of me, the student, the almost wife, and the religious side. When I go to school I see it as learning about the world that my Heavenly Father created. He created language and math and science. When I was in my forensic anthropology class, I was faced with evolution, that's what the whole course was about. I spent a semester playing with skulls that were hundreds of thousands years old and had very different features than people today. I was presented with science and facts and numbers. Yet, my faith wasn't swayed the least. I didn't once doubt the existence of God. I looked for a way for this to all fit in with he plan and what I've been taught. And I have a pretty crazy theory about all those different skulls which my dad has told me is no way can be true but hey! I'll learn someday. 

When taking a Greek philosophy class I've been presented with so many different ideas about divinity and creation. I've read the philosophers and all that they've said. And as I sit there in class, I can't help think how similar the statements they are saying are to the things I believe to be true. The philosophers claimed they were seeking truth and wisdom, and what they came up with is only a few steps off of what I believe today. I'm actually working on a paper right now about all the similarities between Greek mythology and Christianity. 

It's possible to have that BYU experience anywhere, you just have to work a bit harder. And since I'm looking for these things on my own, I believe them and cherish them much more. Also, when reading scripture, I look at them in an English perspective. How the narrative was written, why was it written this way, why was this included and what not. This makes reading scriptures much more interesting and meaningful for me as well. This approach is fruitful for me and I'm so grateful for the things that I have learned for myself this way.

How do you make school fruitful for yourself?

The Best F Words

Comments

  1. I loved going to a secular college. I was able to share the Gospel with nonbelievers. I feel like I would have been turned off from Christianity if I went to a Christian college like I originally planned on doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really fun experience! I have a friend who went there and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...