Skip to main content

Restroom Rules

(I'm so excited. This story is one of the many many reasons why I fell in love with Lauren and her blog. So here she is to share! Let's just say, that I will most likely be breaking the restroom rules as well. I already sit outside the door whenever Sammy's in the bathroom and slide things under the door till he comes back to me! Hahaha!:))

Hey ladies, my name is Lauren and I blog over at The Best F Words. I'm so excited for Kylee and her wedding day. I'm glad she's taking some time away from the blogosphere and enjoying her time with her new husband! And I'm glad I get the opportunity to take over for the day!

A couple years ago, right after my husband and I were married, I went to a bridal shower for a friend of mine. It was an absolute blast; we all rocked feather boas, ate great food, played hilarious games, and watched a very sweet friend be showered with love before her big day.

But a comment was made that surprised me... Let me back up. As I said, we played lots of hilarious games. One of those games was marriage themed Scattergories (if you're clueless, like I was, read the rules here). One of the categories was something along the lines of "around the house" and the players had to have responses to a list of topics related to a newlywed home. One of the topics was something like "A Rule for the Restroom."

There was some pretty hilarious answers, both sarcastic and realistic. And I thought I was being pretty ambitious when responding "always put the toilet seat down" but realized that was child's play when someone responded "NEVER GO IN TOGETHER."

I don't know about you... but I feel like I'm always sharing the restroom with my husband. Granted, we live in a small home with one bathroom so maybe if we had more than the one we wouldn't always be in there together... but still. To have a rule saying you can never share that space at that same time? I was confused.

But I guess since the very beginning of our marriage we've shared our bathroom space. No joke. See, Chris and I got married in Oakland, California and had a three hour drive back to Chico, Califonria for our reception on our wedding day. And I was so excited to wear my dress that I didn't want to take it off for the drive. Well, it was a freakishly HOT day and so I had guzzled a ton of water and halfway through the drive needed a bathroom desperately. All that was available was a nasty co-ed gas station bathroom, on the outside of a convenience store. And so, Chris accompanied me into the bathroom, held up my wedding dress, helped me pull down my underwear, and freed me from the agony of a full bladder.

Yes, the first time Chris took off my underwear was in a nasty co-ed gas station bathroom AND he didn't even get some. Have I told you recently that I love that man? I do. And I can honestly say that I felt like I spent the majority of our wedding day peeing. It was so flippin' hot and I was worried I was going to pass out from dehydration so I had a cup in my handle constantly and was, therefore, peeing constantly. Here's your proof.
Anyways, during our honeymoon, Chris and I were never more than five feet away from each other. And that included our time in the bathroom. He shaved his face while I blow dried my hair.  We shared the shower. He put on deodorant while I peed. We flossed and brushed our teeth together. He sat on the pot while I plucked my eyebrows.

After our honeymoon, this theme stayed intact. Granted, we don't always share the shower anymore (though I know Chris wishes we did... but I just need space to shave my legs, man!). But we hardly ever lock the bathroom door - the other is always invited in. We share the space.

And now that we have a baby, this practice has been put into even greater use! I take a shower with Brielle (multitasking for the win!) while Chris brushes his teeth. Brielle opens and closes drawers while I put on makeup. Again, we share the space.

I never thought this was weird or abnormal until I heard the comment at that bridal shower that a husband and wife should never be around each other in the bathroom. I guess it makes sense that a wife wouldn't necessarily find her husband sexy after watching and smelling him drop a deuce (seriously though PooPourri, you MUST try it - it will be my wedding gift to all newlyweds, swear!). And I'll admit, I don't look my hottest plucking my eyebrows.

But more than anything else, I long to be next to Chris as much as I can. I think this has to do with us both working and his going to school - as strange as it may seem, we rarely see each other. And I guess I just don't want to let natural bodily functions keep me away from him. The same goes for Brielle. I long to be next to her.

Help me out though - are we total freaks of nature?! Do you and yours share the bathroom area like we do or do you instead keep your potty parties private? Or is there some middle line you walk? Dish the dirt ladies, I want to know your restroom rules! Let me know via Twitter or even feel free to email me!

With love,


The topic was originally written on my newlywed blog, Kisses from the Mrs.

http://thebestfwordsblog.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. I love this post. It's been my favorite so far :)

    I'm not married yet, but I hope to have a marriage like yours someday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...