Skip to main content

Impulse Buy

I like to think that I'm not an impulsive shopper. From my brief stint at Victoria's Secret long ago, I've learned that the little pretty items kept right next to the registers legitimately come in packaging saying impulse buys. So whenever I'm at the store staring at the impulse buys, I stop myself, wanting to beat the system trying so desperately to trick me. 

But the other day I was at work, just minding my business, eating my lunch. I decided to check my email like I usually do. There, I saw an email advertising 70% Flash Sale for Deseret Book. Deseret Book is definitely one of my favorite stores. I opened the email to delete it, but then I saw IT. 

A $200 painting of George Washington for 70% off. I immediately ran and got my debit card, and then purchased this painting for myself. I couldn't believe it! 70% off a $200 painting! That never happens! Not only was it a painting, but it had a quote from Washington's inaugural speech as president. 

I was so excited that I called my mom, and then I called Sammy. Sammy asked if I was Ron Swanson, then asked if he could get some headphones he'd been eyeing up since I'd gotten my painting.

I went back to work and excitedly told my co-workers that I'd bought a painting on my lunch break. They all laughed, then asked me what the painting was of. When I said George Washington, they laughed even harder. One laughed so hard that she cried, legitimately cried. I saw the mascara on the tissue when she dabbed her eyes. We spent the rest of work looking up images of the painting, and then laughing again. One said she thought she knew me, but now she didn't anymore. 

People keep asking me why George Washington, why that painting. I really feel that George Washington was instrumental to making America a possibility. There were so many times that he should have died, and things just barely went right in his life, that ended with us winning the American Revolution and making this country the way it is. I know that he was a flawed man. But I look up to him. 

I also largely bought the painting for the quote on it. "No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of man more than the people of the United States." 

When my painting arrived I was about to leave for work. I literally dropped everything and then hung it on the wall, which was a bit difficult since it's so large and had two nail holes. But I absolutely love it! 
This picture of me with my painting also made my coworkers laugh. :) I felt really validated in my purchase when Sammy got home and texted me saying that he really really likes it. It hangs opposite our kitchen so now whenever we're cooking, I feel pretty dang patriotic. I would also just like to thank my mom for buying the Living Scriptures VHS when we were kids about George Washington. Thanks to that movie, I knew off the top of my head that this is Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas Day to ambush the hessians, which were hired German soldiers. 

Comments

  1. Haha I love this! I am the worst impulse shopper EVER!!!! I have to literally tell myself "No, I don't need this" if I'm at Walmart or Target. And I moved all online shopping emails to a separate folder in my Gmail so I'm not tempted to buy anything I don't need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...