I often avoid political topics on my blog, but this is something I want to write about simply because I believe it doesn't need to be political. I posted this on Facebook the other day.
Yesterday I watched Years of Living Dangerously. I have so many thoughts and feelings right now. But my favorite part was when Don Cheadle talked with Katharine Hayhoe, a leading climate scientist AND Evangelical Christian. She talked about how climate change and religion don't have to be separate, in fact they are very related. Her husband, who's a pastor also said "A thermometer isn't Republican or Democratic." I really encourage you all to check this show out. It isn't Al Gore's baby, it isn't inherently political. It shows a very interesting perspective of what is going on in Syria as well. It's showing what is really going on out there in the world. I am a religious person and I have no doubt that climate change is real and that this is a people problem that is going to affect everyone.
The show Years of Living Dangerously was really eye opening. I had no idea about what's going on in Indonesia right now, how trees are being burned and releasing all the carbon stored inside. Or, how drought greatly affected what was going on in Syria.
I loved the segments with Don Cheadle in Texas and they really hit home. I remember in my first year of seminary, my teacher who's family owns half the land in Colorado (No seriously come see all the signs) said that she thought recycling and anything to help the earth was a waste of time because it was just going to end anyway. I squirmed in my seat thes an, and I cringe now.
The way I see it, the earth is God's creation for us to live on. Yes, there are prophecies about horrible, terrible things happening before Christ comes again. But that doesn't mean we need to trash the earth, fill it with chemicals, and not give a care. It isn't ours. We are simply using this gift. And the climate is getting very out of whack due to OUR actions as people. Look at the numbers. Look at the normal patterns. We are way outside of them.
I want to be able to talk about climate change without people immediately assuming I sway a certain way on the political spectrum. I don't want people to ever doubt my faith because of something like climate change. And, I hope to get someone else thinking about maybe just doing something a little extra to help. I plan on taking my bike to get to the bus stop more often once I move.
Go Earth!
Yesterday I watched Years of Living Dangerously. I have so many thoughts and feelings right now. But my favorite part was when Don Cheadle talked with Katharine Hayhoe, a leading climate scientist AND Evangelical Christian. She talked about how climate change and religion don't have to be separate, in fact they are very related. Her husband, who's a pastor also said "A thermometer isn't Republican or Democratic." I really encourage you all to check this show out. It isn't Al Gore's baby, it isn't inherently political. It shows a very interesting perspective of what is going on in Syria as well. It's showing what is really going on out there in the world. I am a religious person and I have no doubt that climate change is real and that this is a people problem that is going to affect everyone.
The show Years of Living Dangerously was really eye opening. I had no idea about what's going on in Indonesia right now, how trees are being burned and releasing all the carbon stored inside. Or, how drought greatly affected what was going on in Syria.
I loved the segments with Don Cheadle in Texas and they really hit home. I remember in my first year of seminary, my teacher who's family owns half the land in Colorado (No seriously come see all the signs) said that she thought recycling and anything to help the earth was a waste of time because it was just going to end anyway. I squirmed in my seat thes an, and I cringe now.
The way I see it, the earth is God's creation for us to live on. Yes, there are prophecies about horrible, terrible things happening before Christ comes again. But that doesn't mean we need to trash the earth, fill it with chemicals, and not give a care. It isn't ours. We are simply using this gift. And the climate is getting very out of whack due to OUR actions as people. Look at the numbers. Look at the normal patterns. We are way outside of them.
I want to be able to talk about climate change without people immediately assuming I sway a certain way on the political spectrum. I don't want people to ever doubt my faith because of something like climate change. And, I hope to get someone else thinking about maybe just doing something a little extra to help. I plan on taking my bike to get to the bus stop more often once I move.
Go Earth!
Comments
Post a Comment