Skip to main content

Sneaky Vegetables

                           
Today it hit me! I have come up with a theory on how to get your veggies in! Because let's face it, even though I'm a grown up, if I have the choice between some cake or digging out some carrots, cutting them up, washing them, I'm going to go with the cake. But first a story.

At my elementary school, the lunch ladies were mean. Which, I totally get. I'd be pretty grumpy to if I spent all day watching kids nastily eat their lunches. I still have nightmares about Gerald, and how he was eating some kind of cheese sandwich and then took a drink out of his water bottle, the kind with the tops that you could chew on, and he left half eaten nasty cheese sandwich all over the kid of his water bottle. Anyways. Everyone's least favorite lunch lady though was Norma. Norma's skin had sun damage and wrinkles like I'd never seen before. She'd been a heavy smoker so she would walk up and down the lines of children rolling her oxygen tank behind her. 

Norma thought it was her job to police how the children were eating their food. She would watch and if you ate your food in an inappropriate order, she would come yell at you. She'd also check through kids lunch boxes to see what they were bringing. IfNorma didn't approve of your lunch, she would let you know it. And half the lunch room. I remember so clearly the interactions I had with Norma. I was yelled at for eating my yogurt before finishing my sandwich, and another time she made me open up my lunch box so she could make sure that I'd eaten everything else before having some chips. Now that I think about it, it's probably those interactions why I'm so weird about eating at schools, but that's for another time.

It was the memory of the order in eating food that inspired me. When I am starving, I will eat anything. It's a fact that food tastes better when you're starving versus just kind of hungry. It's in that state that I get my vegetables in. I eat them first! For school this week when bringing my lunch, I've brought veggies and eat them first and they taste SOO good! There's a reason they always bring the salad out first. So, just eat them veggies first, ignore Norma, and feel good! 

You probably thought this was about sneaking them into foods and not being able to taste them. I fully intend to sneak fruits into Sammy's food when we're married, so I'll probably post about that sneakiness later ;) 

Comments

  1. Norma sounds like a nightmare! ha ha! I would be terrified to eat anything around her. That reminds me of the nasty lunch lady on Matilda, she was all disgusting and sweaty and hunched over. EW. I'm grossed out just thinking about it, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading some article from a guy who had lost tons of weight, and he was giving pointers to people who are trying to eat healthier but find themselves addicted to junk food. He said he's a junk food addict, and he used to just binge eat everything he could periodically. It wasn't a frequent thing, just something so that every once in a while he just wanted to eat all the junk food in the house, basically.

    And sometimes, today, he'll still get in that kind of a mood, even though he doesn't really have junk food in his house or anything. What he does-- but he doesn't recommend it haha, it's a terrible habit and probably slightly destructive-- is he'll eat all the carrots or whatever that he can first. He knows he wants all the junk food, and he's got no intention to tell himself he can't have it, so he eats all the fruits and vegetables he can stomach first. And then he'll break into the chips and peanut butter straight from the jar and everything, because after you fill up on fruits and vegetables, there's not much room left in your stomach for anything else.

    It made me laugh. Your idea vaguely reminds me of it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...