Skip to main content

Little Bit o Writing

Cold. All he felt was cold.

Not the warmth he’d felt as a child when his father pretended not to see him still awake, crouched in the shadows of his doorframe. Watching as his deft hands slipped the old dirtied rag that hadn’t seen water since the early 70’s up and through the machine. His father didn’t believe in bleach, claiming the mixture of oil, grease, and that thick spit that formed in the corners of your mouth while thinking of water when none was to be had was the best way to clean a gun. The forever fingerprints that tarnished the gold plating on the side contradicted that saying, but he was his father. Of course it was right.

Nor the warmth the first time his father clapped him on the back, hard, blood rushing to the ghost of a handprint, stinging, but a good kind of stinging. The stinging of a man’s approval. The two of them had gone to the range for the first time and he’d watched in reverence as his father spread his legs shoulder width apart, aimed, and fired. He’d felt the heat of the explosion in the chamber, seen the blast of fire at the tip of the gun, followed the trail to the target where the led had hit, three millimeters short of the bullseye. He tried to hide his jump at the foreignness of the sound but his father had just chuckled, saying he’d get used to it.

No, it wasn’t the warmth of hot tears trailing down cheeks in the back of a closet, forever asking why. Then the soft knock of his mother, light overwhelming him, a black box being handed over, he’d have wanted him to have it. That feeling of awe as his hands finally trailed over the old gold plating, felt the click of the safety, cocking and un cocking every night. Then repeating the holy ritual every night.


Instead he was cold. There was heat all around him. The lingering pressure in the webbing between his thumb and forefinger from metal kicking back. The warmth of the barrel from expelling light. Hot blood swarming where metal molded flesh. The writhing back and forth of the microscopic hairs in his ear drum, responding to the screams. The sun beating down upon the scene leaving nowhere to hide. With heat surrounding him, all he felt was the cold. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...