Skip to main content

Book Review- The Selection

Bachelorette meets Hunger Games. That's all I have to say and you're in, right? Actually, as Sammy pointed out after I talked and talked and talked about the plot to him, it's more Bachelorette meets Divergent. Well, actually, it's Bachelor meets Divergent because it's technically only one guy. What book am I talking about? The Selection by Kiera Cass.

Actually, I'm recommending the entire series because, it's that good! I'm so upset that the third book isn't out yet, but it will be soon. And those covers! They make me want to go dress up.

I picked up The Selection at work because I was extremely bored one day and it looked like my best option. 183 pages later, I didn't want my shift to end because I needed to keep reading. The Selection is a book about a girl named America Singer who is being pressured by her family to enter the selection. The selection happens every time a prince comes of age and is a drawing of 35 girls from all over America (called Illea here) to be in a competition to win the Prince's heart, bachelor style. Even if a girl is only in the competition for a day, their families are heavily compensated which is something America's family needs. There's just one problem.

She's already in love with someone else. 

But he's in an even lower caste than the one she's in. 

This was a great read. At first, I thought I wasn't going to get into the story because it's a prince and a girl and there's pretty dresses and I HATE watching the Bachelor. I just can not stand all of the girls fighting all the time. But, this read was relaxing and transported me from all the drama going on in my life at the time which was legit. The protagonist was strong enough it wasn't ridiculous but she wasn't annoying. The romance was cute and unpredictable. I had inklings of what was going to happen, but, I was always pleasantly surprised by twists. And, though it seems like there is going to be a crazy love triangle aspect Twilight/almost a bit cliche style, I was not frustrated to the point I wanted to rip my hair out. I was so intrigued by the end though that I nicely begged Sir Sammy to go get me the second book on his way to school, please? Which he did :) 

I loved this book. It was relaxing, made me want to wear pretty dresses, appreciate my relationship, and super super snuggly. It was a nice break from all the soft core sci fi I have been reading and switched things up. So, if you like to watch any version of Bachelor/ette and liked Divergent/Hunger Games I HIGHLY recommend this book series. There isn't as much action, actually very little, but I'm not really an action kind of girl and this book combined all my favorite aspects of the show and other books. 

If you do read The Selection definitely let me know what you think! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...