Skip to main content

Poetry Reading- Eduardo C. Corral

Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to go to a poetry reading after school. It was part of a new memorial in honor of Jake Adam York, a poet I have so much respect for. I wrote a post all about him HERE. What I didn't know but found out at the poetry reading was that Jake Adam York is the one who actually set up the Creative Writing program at my school. That's one of the biggest reasons I have stayed at my school is that program and the way that it's structured here, differently than all other campuses. How cool that this man that I respect so much is the one who made it possible?
Eduardo C. Corral
So, this was the first reading. Part of the memorial was the writer had to be writing about aspects of history or social issues. Eduardo c. Corral sure fit that bracket. He writes about borders. The Mexico America border. The borders of love. The borders of language. The borders of identity. It really reminded me a lot of my class last semester about Migration and all the struggles I got to hear about the Dream activists. His work put those struggles into beautiful language.

It was really cool hearing him read his work. He gave us background on each poem and told stories and jokes. Most of his jokes revolved around his nephew wanting to take his book to school for show and tell, or his niece telling him he wasn't whatever he said in his poems. He replied with, You can lie in poetry! Well, sort of.

He talked about how it took him nine and a half years to write his books. How as a writer, doubt never really goes away, and that's alright. As long as doubt is writing shotgun with you, but doesn't have it's hands on the wheel. That when you get into trouble.

I met a lot of new people and just talked with them. I felt reassured in my choice of major and life. This is what I love. These are the people who love it as well. I love discussing literature, words, writing with people. I may not be the most eloquent speaker or writer, especially on this blog, but that is what I truly love.

At the reading, a teacher I have for one of my honors classes was there. She didn't know I was an English major and told me I should apply for this scholarship because not a lot of people had applied. I'd heard of it but didn't meet all the requirements because of my brief thoughts that I was going to do Public Health, so I hadn't applied in the first place. She said she'd write me a note though and make an exception. It was such a great night! The girl sitting next to me was like, wow! I've never had a teacher tell me to apply for a scholarship before, that's really cool. So, I'm going to be getting everything together for that this week as well.

Go English!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...