Skip to main content

Workshop

On 2/19 I had my first workshop in my Fiction class. I was so nervous going in. Workshops can be either really helpful, or, they can rip your soul out and leave you in tears. I was in the third group to go so I still don't have a great sense of which group my classmates fall into. So far, all the stories this semester have been about suicide. Very graphic sucides, disturbing suicides, not disturbing but about suicide suicides and yeah. My little soul was getting worn down from reading all the sadness every week. Like I've said, there's something about literature that seems like it always has to be sad and not inspiring…..

Anyways.

I was nervous because my story was not about suicide. It wasn't sad. And, it takes place in the Mayan times. But, we aren't supposed to do any genre fiction (sci fi, fantasy, historical) so, I didn't clearly specify what time period my story took place in. Also, this wasn't just some short story. This is an idea that I hope to turn into a book series. So, I turned in my story and waited a week to walk into the hot seat.

It went great. I didn't leave wanting to cry. I was able to laugh at comments and got a whole page of notes on how to improve my work and take it to the next level. And, two of my classmates whom I highly respect came up and told me that they could totally see this as a book series. They're both former military and men. Not that that means anything, it's just I always worry that my writing is too girly, will never find a huge audience. But they liked it and so did most of my classmates.

My favorite part by far was that they picked up on the sublet hints that I left that will be in the book. They weren't like, oh hey, this is so obvious. They said that there was just something not right and that if this was a book, then I should go this way or that. Which was more reassurance for me.

My first workshop in class went well. I only hope my poetry one goes just as well. ;)

If you're interested in reading my short story, let me know! Or, if you want to read what I have of my novel so far as well, I'm willing to share that too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...