Skip to main content

Sidewalk Cookin'

So, I was in the shower. And I was deciding whether or not I should wash my hair because it looked fine. Then the power went out and it was pitch black. That answered that question. I wasn't done though, so I just kept on showering in the dark. When it was time for soap, I felt around the shower cubby. There's a slight problem though, I'm allergic to one of the soaps in there. So I fumbled around until I found both bars of soap and smelled each, trying to figure out which one was the right one. Luckily they don't smell anything alike. So I put the other one back and just went on with my shower.

A few years ago my mom put those touch lights in every room, so that if the power ever went out, we could just use those instead. I was so grateful for that today. I hopped out of the shower and fumbled around until I found the light. I knocked over a crap load of stuff though and my family just laughed downstairs every time something fell. When I was completely dressed and clean, I felt pretty darn awesome. That's right, I shower in the dark.

You know you have a little brother when you walk out and see screaming flashes of person and don't think anything of it. Or when you tell your mom that showering in the dark should be one of the requirements for  an electricity merit badge. My mom said I would need more requirements than just that for the badge. So I called the power company to report the outage as another requirement for my new merit badge that I'm giving myself.

Later my sister was saying how she should have made her egg mcmuffin for breakfast instead of waiting for lunch because she couldn't cook the egg now. I swear one of those little lightbulbs went off over my head. It's about 95 degrees outside. I COULD COOK THE EGG ON THE SIDEWALK! I grabbed some tin foil and an egg, and after burning the bottoms of my feet some shoes, and headed outside to the part of the sidewalk where the sun was directly above. I laid down the tinfoil, cracked the egg, and waited. (Since the sun was so bright I had to make a shadow just to get a picture, that's why it doesn't look sunny. Just by the way.)

Right after I cracked the egg

Five minutes later when I decided I wanted scrambled eggs

Twenty minutes later

Half an hour later.

The egg was cooked all the way, it just didn't look very, uhmm, appetizing? Plus bugs kept flying by and I don't want to die so I didn't actually eat the egg. But I cooked an egg on the sidewalk. That metaphor may continue to be used in storytelling. 

I think cooking on the sidewalk should qualify for my merit badge.

The power was still out so I decided to do more things for my merit badge. Like, entertaining myself without electricity. I spent a good ten minutes throwing water bottles in the air trying to get them to land right side up. I got hit in the face in the process, but I did it!


When that got boring, we played Skip bo.

Whoever lived in this house before us and decided blue carpet was a good idea, was just plain weird. 
Then, the power came back on. It was such a relief. I never would have made it as a pioneer just saying. I'm sort of glad it went off though because then I wouldn't be able to say I showered in the dark and cooked an egg on the sidewalk!



Comments

  1. hahaha thats so funny, i was just thinking about how i want to try out cooking an egg on the sidewalk. my grandma is visiting from arizona and it's superrr hot there!

    thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    andrea brionne @thedailyeverythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidewalk cooking is the way to go! You should tell your grandma to try it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, girl! I can honestly say I've never cooked an egg like that but I might have to try that sometime!

    Cute blog!

    @ considermecharmed@yahoo.com
    haleybrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for visiting mine as well! You should try it it's so fun! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fake

I feel like a lot of times when going through blogger, I'm always pushing the boundaries a bit. A lot of blogs seem to always be happy and awesome and they just won this free product from someone and it's great! And then, I'm over here in my little corner of the blogosphere wondering, hey, should I actually write about this? Is this something that you just pretend like it never happens? Am I the only one this happens to? My favorite moments are when I find someone cutting down those walls and sharing what life is actually like. That they have zits. That they don't have the perfect relationship and baby. That they've struggled with mental health. That they're secretly gross like me. (I took a quiz on buzz feed about how secretly gross are you, and I got pretty gross. In the guise of not being fake, I am sharing this fact with you all!) When I find those blog posts, I instantly feel a connection with that person and will automatically follow them on their life j...

Say Yes?

Well. Today I went dress shopping. And it was a really fun experience! I went a few weeks ago, and that wasn't as fun. I almost fainted because everything was so tight! And I looked like a little girl playing dress up. This time though, I felt sophisticated, it was a much better experience, and I may have found THE dress. I know it's one of these ones, but at the store I thought I was going to get one dress. But as I got home and looked through the pictures again, I think another one will work better and is really THE one. I'm going to sit on it though.  I thought it'd be fun to put the pictures up here and let you all see! Tell me which dress is your favorite! If there's two pictures together, it's the front and back.  How was dress shopping for you?  I like the lace and buttons on this dress     Love the top and flowyness of this dress. Really love the neck, top, and ruching on this dress. Not sure about the train though. This...

Book of Mormon Musical?

Well, it's here in Denver. Kind of hard not to notice it with all the signs. The Book of Mormon Musical. I have very mixed feeling about this. I know that in the grand scheme of the universe, this musical shouldn't bother me so much. But it really, really does. The Book of Mormon is something very near and dear to my heart. And I know that people make fun of the LDS church on an hourly basis. I've heard all the jokes. Not a big deal. Plus, I'm blonde. I can take a joke. But this musical really disturbs me. I listened to the songs when they were released, thinking oh, I'm gonna be one of those cool people who fights for this play. But then I really started listening to the words. And they bothered me. A lot. Saying that missionaries who are out in the field make up things on the spot, like having sex with frogs will get rid of aids, it bugged me. I don't even want to talk about some of the other songs. I heard them and felt, just not right. I was comforted by t...